Miseducation of Lauryn Hill Anniversary
"How you gone win if you ain't right within?" - Lauryn Hill
Queen Latifah, Lil' Kim, Missy Elliott, Eve...and Lauryn Hill. The list can go on and on, but there is no list of top female rappers or artists that does not include Lauryn Hill on it. Combine her vocals and her flow and she is without a doubt one of the greatest artists of our generation. She has the perfect mix between an amazing voice when she sings, to holding her own when she raps. There are not too many women artists out there that can handle both. And she was one of the first to make it look oh-so effortless.
August 25th marks the 19th anniversary of the release of Lauryn Hill's debut and only solo studio album, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. The album was released on August 25th, 1998 and till this day it remains a musical classic. The album is filled with 16 tracks that many people still listen to until this day.
Lauryn started her career in acting at a very young age and begin seeing some success as she appeared on tv soap opera. She then went on to act in the movie, Sister Act 2: Back In The Habit. Lauryn has many titles under her belt including singer, songwriter, rapper, producer and actress. She started her musical career as one-third of the group, The Fugees. Together they released two studio albums, Blunted on Reality (1994) and the Grammy award-winning album, The Score (1996), which sold six million copies in the United States. After the group broke up, she went on to release The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, which still remains her only studio album to date. The album debuted at number one on the U.S. Billboard 200 and has sold approximately eight million copies. The renowned album included the singles "Doo Wop (That Thing)," "Ex-Factor," and "Everything Is Everything."
At the 41st Grammy Awards, the album earned her five awards, including Album of the Year and Best New Artist. Also, during this time she won multiple other awards and she was featured in many magazines. Although The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is her only studio album, she has released other music throughout the years as well. She released new music with MTV's Unplugged album, however it did not do as well as her previously released work. Until this day, Miseducation of Lauryn Hill remains a fan favorite and we can guess that people will continue to jam to it for years to come.
In paying homage to this album and the musical talent and greatness that is Ms. Lauryn Hill, here are a couple of fun facts about here:
1) She was raised in South Orange, New Jersey.
2) Did you know, at a very young age, she performed on Apollo and was booed during her appearance?
3) Her biggest acting role was as Rita, in the Sister Act 2 movie. Here she showcased her vocals and skills so well.
4) Lauryn Hill has six children, five of whom are with Rohan Marley, son of reggae legend, Bob Marley.
5) The Fugees was originally known as the Tranzlator Crew. The original name was chosen because the group wanted to rhyme in different languages.
6) The title of Lauryn Hill's debut album was inspired by the book, The Mis-Education of the Negro by Carter G. Woodson and the film and autobiographical novel, The Education of Sonny Carson.
What are your favorite Lauryn Hill songs or contributions to hip hop? Comment below and while you're at it, list your top five female rappers of all time too.